1925 Jewett Woodie Wagon
Owner: Bernie and Janice Taulborg Collection
Original cost: $1,335.00 (business coupe, model 23-25)
Number made: 28,621 (1925)
Note: Mr. Taulborg did the wood restoration work on this vehicle and since Jewett never officially made a woodie, this vehicle is one of a kind.
Engine, etc.: 6 cyl.; 55 hp; 3 speed; 112 in. wheelbase; 3 passenger (originally)
Jewett, Detroit, Mich., 1922 – 1927
Jewett Motors, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Paige-Detroit Motor Car Company, was organized in December, 1921 and lasted until 1926.
It was named for the parent company’s president, Harry M. Jewett.
The car was marketed as a Jewett “Six”, a companion to the Paige, the primary product of Paige-Detroit.
At the end of the first 17 months of production, 40,000 vehicles had been sold.
Hydraulic four-wheel brakes were added in 1926.
After production of over 100,000 Jewetts, the company was purchased by the Graham Brothers in 1927 for $4 million. The Jewett became just another model of the Paige for that year only. It was then renamed as a Graham-Paige for 1928 only.
Sources: Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1805 -1942. Beverly Rae Kimes, et al. 3rd ed. Krause Publications, 1996.