1914 Saxon Fire Chief Car
On loan from: Fremont Volunteer Fire Department
Engine: Saxon engine, 20 h. p.
The City of Fremont’s fire protection consisted of a bucket brigade until 1856. In 1864 a volunteer fire department was organized and in 1886 a hook and ladder wagon was added.
Over the years several independent fire companies were formed. In 1994 the four companies were combined into one department, the Fremont Volunteer Fire Department.
This vehicle was first driven by Harry Hauser, a volunteer Chief of the Fire Department, in the 1920’s. Harry D. Struve, the department’s first fully paid Chief, was the last Chief to drive it.
In 1968 Russell Calloway and other volunteer firemen from Fremont restored it. Everything has been restored to original except the magneto.
The car has been in more than 100 parades in Nebraska.