1947 Mercury Coupe, Series 79M, Model 72
On loan from: Yvonne Deyle Barth and the late Jim Barth, Kearney, NE
Original cost: $1,449.00
Number made: 29,284
Engine, etc.: V-8; 100 hp; 239 cu. in.; 118 in. wheelbase; 3,281 lbs.
The 1947 – 1949 Mercurys changed little which wasn’t surprising given it was a seller’s market at the time. In fact, the 1947 models, introduced in February, 1947, were identical to the 1946’s. In April, the “Spring Models” for 1947 were introduced and distinguished by the stainless strip that ran along both sides of the hood.
The upper grill frame was chrome, trunk lid trim and bumper guards were slightly revised, and the hood ornament lost its red stripes. Hubcaps were redesigned and given black lettering with white accents. Ten new exterior colors were available.
The biggest change was price which increased $150 from the 1946 models.
Model year production was 86,383 units for all models.
Performance was improved over the previous models but the trip odometer was eliminated and weather stripping and interior door trim was used sparingly.
The engine of the 1947 Mercury remained the same with only a change to the rear axle. This meant slightly faster acceleration, superior hill climbing ability, but a higher revving engine at cruising speeds. The engine was the same as the 1947 Ford. One review said the top cruising speed was a little less than before, but there was nothing else at a similar price that beat the Fords and Mercurys.
The Mercury advertising campaign implied that the Mercury was a very different car from the Ford – but it really wasn’t. An ad proclaimed, “More of everything you want with Mercury,” but the truth was that, beginning in 1946, it didn’t even have a horsepower advantage over Ford. The ads promised endless happiness on the open road with an emphasis on style, performance, beauty, and comfort. The biggest “more”, however, was the price paid to have a Mercury name and grille on a Ford.
See also: http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Mercury/1947%20Mercury/index.html (Original 1947 dealer’s brochure)