1930 Lincoln LeBaron Convertible Roadster, Model L
Owner: Bernie and Janice Taulborg Collection
Original cost: $6,900.00 ($120,250.46 in 2022 dollars)
Previous owner: In 1996 owner was from Omaha, NE
Number made: 100 approx., with LeBaron coachwork
Engine, etc.: 8 cyl.; 90 hp; L-head; 3 speed; Model 185; 136 in. wheelbase
The Lincoln Motor Company was founded in 1917 by Henry M. Leland to produce Liberty Aero engines during World War I.
Leland, one of the founders of Cadillac, left Cadillac during the First World War to form the Lincoln Motor Company. He left Cadillac due to a disagreement with General Motors boss William C. Durant. When Leland left, he was 74 years old, and chose the name Lincoln after the president he had voted for in 1864.
The first Lincoln model, the Model L, was produced from 1921 to 1930. It was comparable in size and price to a Cadillac but had a larger, more powerful engine. Leland ‘s forte was not design and the car suffered from a stogy appearance and bad economic times. Leland sold out to Henry Ford in 1922.
The Lincoln was refined with the styling genius of Edsel Ford who created designs that would make Lincoln one of the premier motor cars in the world. Lincoln was well established as a premier luxury car maker by 1930. It produced vehicles equal to the finest in the world.
At a price of between $4,600 and $6,600, these cars were available only to wealthy society in 1930. The price almost equaled annual incomes and was comparable to that of a Cadillac at the time.
Four-wheel mechanical drum brakes were introduced on this model along with worm and roller-type steering which gave more precise steering and considerably improved overall handling. Top speed was around 80 mph, with 0 to 30 mile per hour time of 5.2 seconds and fuel consumption of 12 miles/gal.
Special features include a rumble seat, and a golf club door. The car also has a Seth Thomas clock on the dash, dual interior mirrors on the windshield, and vacuum-powered windshield wipers.
Like the Phaeton, the spare tire is covered.
Edsel Ford selected, and the Gorham Foundry made, the iconic greyhound hood ornament, first used on the Lincoln Towncar in 1929.
Source: Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1805 -1942. Beverly Rae Kimes, et al. 3rd ed. Krause Publications, 1996.