1907 International Harvester Auto Buggy
Owner: Bernie and Janice Taulborg Collection
Original cost: $600.00
Number made: 100 built by October, 1907.
Engine, etc.: 2 cyl.; 14/16 hp; 84 in. wheelbase
The Classic Car Collection has International Harvester vehicles from 1907 (auto buggy), 1909 (auto wagon), and pickups from 1919, 1929, 1939, 1949, and 1959.
International Harvester Company, Akron, Ohio, 1907 – 11 (Chicago, early 1907)
The International Harvester Company of Chicago built its first experimental motor buggy in 1899.
The first high wheeler was completed in February, 1907. It was built “as nearly as possible like a buggy” and was probably the most rugged high wheeler built in America.
The simple machine was rugged and reliable and could be maintained and repaired by the owner. If more service was needed, International Harvester had farm equipment dealers across the country.
The 1907 sales literature described it as “A Thoroughly Reliable Common-Sense Machine”. It had a surrey body and was equipped with two seats, two gas headlights, generator, three oil lamps, horn, and tools.
The chassis of the buggy was the same as the auto wagon. An owner of the buggy body could buy the wagon body and put it on the same chassis and have two cars in one. Instead of hauling crops to market in small horse-drawn wagons, the auto wagon allowed a farmer to bring moderate amounts of produce to and from markets and also take his family to church on Sundays. Large diameter wheels gave good ground clearance for traversing the deeply rutted roads of the day.
The McCormick Harvesting Machine Company was founded by Cyrus H. McCormick who invented the first commercially successful reaper to harvest wheat. When he died in 1884, his son, Cyrus Jr., became president of the company.
During the 1880’s and 1890’s the company retained its position as the leading agriculture equipment manufacturer. By 1900, however, it was facing increased competition from Deering Harvester Co.
International Harvester Company was formed in 1902 by the merger of McCormick Harvesting Machine Co. and Deering Harvester Company. Three other rival companies also joined the merger: Plano Manufacturing Co., Milwaukee Harvester Co., and Warder, Bushnell, and Glessner.
The founder’s sons, Cyrus Jr. and Harold Fowler McCormick presided over the company for its first 40 years.
They were called IHC until 1914, when the ‘International’ name was first applied.
The final light line truck was made on May 5, 1975. One of the company’s light-duty vehicles was the Travelall, which was similar in concept to the Chevrolet Suburban.
Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1805 -1942. Beverly Rae Kimes, et al. 3rd ed. Krause Publications, 1996.
http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/IHC/1907%20IHC/1907%20International%20Motor%20Vehicles%20Catalog/index1.html (Original sales brochure, 1907 buggies and wagons; International Motor Vehicles, Auto Buggies and Auto Wagons, International Harvester Company of America, no date.)